Our Favorite Mechanic

We needed to leave at 1:00 to get to the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History in time for the docent tour at 2:00. It was a bright, sunny day and so I grabbed my sunglasses and the kids and we all piled in the truck and buckled up.

Phil turned the truck key, it started up and then died. He tried again, it died again. And again. And again.

We all sat in silence for a moment while we took in the implications. The last time the truck behaved like this was 17 months ago, here in this same city.

Luckily, the mechanic that fixed us up last time had told Phil how to get the truck started again. Something involving pouring oil into some reservoir.

broke down truckTo be honest, Phil has been dying to see if the trick would work, ever since he learned of it, but hadn’t had the chance to try it, since the truck has worked perfectly.

After about 20 minutes and two attempts, Phil did indeed get the truck started, to his supreme satisfaction.

We debated about going ahead into the museum, and continuing onto Sedona, AZ tomorrow, as planned.

But, we were both uncomfortable with the thought of driving almost 400 miles through the desert without knowing if the truck would start.

So, we had to ditch the museum idea. This was one of the times when we had to let go of our expectations of what was supposed to happen and roll with what was actually happening.

Today, that was pretty easy to do, although I am bummed we have to miss out on the art museum. However, the kids could hang out at home, safe in the campground and not broken down on the side of the road somewhere.

Plus, since Phil got the truck started, we don’t have to call Good Sam for a tow. Yeah!

So, the kids all piled back out of the truck and Phil and I drove over to the Rich Ford Dealership, hoping and praying that the mechanic that helped us out was still there and was working today. It was our lucky day.

We got to the dealership about 2, talked about the situation to Tony Garcia, our service adviser, and he graciously allowed us to chat with Robert Grimes, our superhero mechanic who had saved the day for us before.

Robert didn’t remember us, but he did remember the truck and agreed to take a look, even though he was trying to finish up a big project and get out of there for the weekend.

coffee in the waiting roomWe were thrilled that he could fit us in and waited patiently in the reception area, drinking coffee and chai tea for a couple of hours.

We had dropped the dogs off at a groomer earlier in the day and needed to pick them up by 4, so the dealership let us take their shuttle to go pick them up and bring them back. The pups hung out on our laps for the rest of the afternoon.

At about 6:30, Tony and Robert came to chat and let us know the truck was done. It was not exactly the same problem that we had previously, but it was related.

We are so grateful to Tony and Robert for getting us in at the last minute and patching up the truck so we can get on our way in the morning.

If you ever need a diesel mechanic – go see Robert at Rich Ford in Albuquerque, NM. He has years of experience and knows what he is doing.

We had to go through a lot of bad and mediocre mechanics before we found him and he was able to diagnose a problem that no one else could figure out. Wish we had found him years ago.

One Comment:

  1. Hey Phil- It’s Jim (fellow F350 owner) from Albuquerque- Saw your comment on our blog and that gave me a reminder I better get over and check yours out too. Bummer to hear the truck was acting up again, but glad you got it running. What was the issue this time, since it wasn’t exactly the same problem?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *